Business & Real Estate Sales Attorney in Berks County, PA
Representing Either Party in a Major Transaction
Dorko Wealth & Estate Planning provides legal and financial solutions to people who are contemplating important transactions involving business real estate.
We encourage you to reach out to us for help if you are a(n):
- Seller of a highly appreciated asset (such as real estate or a business) and want to find a legal solution to reduce your capital gains tax.
- Executor or trustee who is dealing with the administration of a trust or estate.
- Commercial real estate agent or business broker with sellers who require tax-reduction strategies.
As a business and real estate sales attorney in Berks County, Pennsylvania, Jeff Dorko utilizes his 30+ years of experience, his advanced law degree in taxation, and his MBA in finance to provide you with thoughtful legal guidance and advanced tax savings strategies.
We are happy to work with your current professional CPA, financial advisor, and/or business attorney. For more information about our services, please contact us online or call (610) 957-0018.
Tax Planning Options for Sellers
There are a number of ways in which sellers can mitigate their tax liability and minimize what they owe in capital gains after a real estate or business transaction.
Some of the options that may work for you can include a(n):
- Cash-out: You take the sale proceeds and pay a combined capital gains tax of more than 26 percent (Federal rate 20 percent, Pennsylvania rate 3.07 percent, Net Investment Tax 3.8 percent).
- Installment Sale: The buyer agrees to pay you over time, but the main risk is that the buyer will default on the payments.
- 1031 Exchange: The 1031 IRS rules are complex, but this method can defer taxes indefinitely.
- Deferred Sales Trust: You can defer taxes indefinitely on the sale of both real estate and the sale of a business. Even the part of a business gain attributed to “goodwill” can be deferred.
Deferred Sales Trust Strategies
A Deferred Sales Trust has the potential to generate more money over the long run than a direct and taxed sale. This capital gains tax deferral tool could save you thousands of dollars, and at the same time, you would then have the opportunity to potentially make a profit on the money you would have paid to Uncle Sam in the year of the sale. Our business and real estate sales attorney in Wyomissing combined with your CPA and our Wealth Management team can help you establish a deferred sales trust if you think this is an option that could work for you.
If you would like to learn more about this or any of the other options and strategies that might help you lower your taxes in a major sale, contact Dorko Wealth & Estate Planning online!
It is a pleasure working with you and your team.- Annarose I.
I have been doing business with Mr. Dorko since 2005.- Sal A.
...went above and beyond answering questions and concerns.- Caitlin R.
The whole team was very helpful as we navigated an estate for a friend who passed away.- Paula M
Experience, integrity, and reliability.- Mary T.
Successful Transfer of Ownership Business & Farm Ownership Transfer
Revised Property and Investment Plan for Trust Family Cottage Trust
Wealth Transferred to Children & Grandchildren Family Limited Partnership